Two points from defeat, Williams suddenly regained her composure and her strokes, coming back to win the last four games and beat No. 1-ranked Victoria Azarenka 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 on Sunday night for her fourth championship at Flushing Meadows and 15th Grand Slam title overall.
"I honestly can't believe I won. I really was preparing my runner-up speech, because I thought, `Man, she's playing so great," Williams said during the trophy presentation, adding: "I'm really shocked."
Might be the only one.
After all, what really was stunning was that Azarenka made things as interesting as they were, given that she came into the day 1-9 against Williams over their careers.
Add in that Williams hadn't dropped a set in the tournament, losing only 19 games through six matches before Sunday. All part of a tremendous run she is putting together in reaction to her loss at the French Open in late May, the American's only first-round exit in 49 career major tournaments. Since then, she is 26-1, winning Wimbledon and the London Olympics.
Facebook Blogger Plugin by JustNaira.com | Get Widget

Post a Comment