Cash Money Content, which is a partnership of Cash Money Records and Atria Books (a division of Simon & Schuster), will release the first edition of the book during February, penned by criminal attorney Muhammad Bashir.
Within the contents of the book, Bashir is brutally honest about the about the internal criminal justice system, with the intention of informing those in legal trouble of their rights in the difficult process they must prepare to endure, as well as preventing those heading towards the deeper end of crime to refrain from doing so. Though the book contains facts insisting criminals have their rights, Bashir stresses “RAW LAW” his purpose is not to teach individuals to become the “better criminal.”
“Even if you are a hardened criminal or just plain foolish, you deserve the best of what the system has to offer,” he explains. “Unfortunately, the system is not equipped to give you what you deserve, ‘equal justice under the law.’ “
“RAW LAW,” includes real-life stories pulled from the files of Bashir’s lengthy legal career, based on his belief that were was not enough “straight talk” about the dangers of becoming involved in the criminal justice system regarding American youth. Bashir felt that despite his avid teaching in the same lessons repeatedly, few absorbed the lesson, and hopes the book will change that.
“I have gone through that stage of faith whereby I despise the injustices of this system in my heart. I am now in the position to speak out against it … I speak out, I challenge, I criticize, and I ‘do work,’ because if I don’t, who will?” Bashir said.
“I’m in it to win it. We all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us, opening the door for us. If we disrespect their legacy, their history, the struggle, we lose. The result of a loss in the new millennium is two million persons in prison, the suspension of civil liberties, the destruction of the Constitution, and the entrenchment in the culture of the perception that young, black male equals criminal.”
“RAW LAW: An Urban Guide to Criminal Justice,” will be available on February 15th, and may be purchased at book retailers for $22 a hardback, or $15.99 paperback. Pre-order on Amazon.com available now.
Facebook Blogger Plugin by JustNaira.com | Get Widget
Post a Comment